Had a few series of head-on Bird in Flight and i am very satisfied with the new 7D Mark II’s ability to track incoming flyers with ease where the 1D Mark IV failed to deliver on a consistent basis. The crop factor certainly make a case here. Without 1.4x where i would normally use on 1 Series bodies, the AF is more responsive on a naked 500mm and it’s lighter for handheld too – lighter body weight and without 1.4x teleconvertor.
Here’s my settings so far after a week of intense BIF. I would recommend turn off iTR and use center point if you are into BIF – it makes a huge difference
Updated : Feb 2, 2015 – over 2 months using this camera for BIF
- Initial AF pt Manual
- AF modes : Manual Spot AF, 4 points expand, 9 points expand.
- Disable EOS iTR AF
- AF Servro Priority 1 Equal, Priority 2 to Focus
- AF Case 2 and change the following to
- Tracking Sensitivity : 0
- Accel/Decel Trackjing : 1
- AF point auto Switching : 1